Dog and Cat Travel PassportTraveling with Your Pet

Health certificates for pets are required for travel within the United States (regardless if crossing state lines by car or by plane) as well as for international travel.

Whether for domestic or international travel, we will be happy to help you with your pet's health certificate. Like visas, we need several weeks to process the paperwork.

There are certain countries that require unusual procedures. We will be happy to guide you through the process of gather the proper documentations for you and your pets travel.

Feel free to call us at 732-985-0278 with any questions or to book an appointment for a domestic health certificate.

For International and Domestic health certificates, please complete the form below with attachments to any valuable paperwork and email it to us at or mail to: 1850 Lincoln Highway Edison NJ , 08817. We will have our USDA Accredited Veterinarians look over all your forms and paperwork to determine the best time to schedule an appointment for you and your pet.

Download the International Health Certificate Form

Download the Domestic Health Certificate Form

Travel Planning Tips

  • Start planning at least two months ahead of time for domestic travel or four months for international travel to make sure that you are familiar with all the necessary requirements.

  • If traveling by car, make sure to have copies of your pet's vaccine history, including the most current rabies certificate proving legal vaccination for rabies. Be sure to have a health certificate from your veterinarian for your pet's most recent wellness visit.

  • If traveling by plane, research the airlines that you plan to use. Some airlines have their own requirements while others defer to the destination state or country. Important questions to ask:

    • What are the airline's policies regarding pet travel?
    • Which airplanes in their fleet have a cargo space available for larger pets (this will affect which flights are available for your trip)?
    • Which flights allow smaller pets in the cabin space?
    • What type of pet carrier do they recommend?
    • What are their procedures for dropping off and picking up your pet? Airlines may differ on what they offer for loading and unloading.
    • Do they have a non-stop flight for you and your pet to your destination? How do they handle layovers between flights when your pet is on board?
  • Pet traveling agencies are a great resource and can help create a timeline for you to follow.
  • We recommend when flying to research airline friendly carriers.
  • For example; Sherpa, GoDog, and, Frisco
  • We also recommend speaking to your vet about medication that could be given to your pet while traveling.
  • Traveling could be extremely stressful on your pet and be reducing that anxiousness it wouldn’t be a bad idea to consider anti-anxiety mediation
  • Any state or country that requires a RV titer will usually take about 4-6 weeks to be returned.
  • For expedited services it’s an extra $170. (Payment will have to be done with KSU)

**Only United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) approved veterinarians are allowed to issue an international health certificate. Raritan Animal Hospital currently has veterinarians on staff that are approved to issue certificates for international travel.**

Helpful Resources